CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 1, 2008

I promise we are great parents...


















Over Memorial Day we decided to take our bikes, double stroller, cooler, dog, camera, and phones on a picnic. We had no idea what kind of adventure we were about to endure. This kind of stuff, I KNOW, doesn't happen to everyone. This isn't normal. I realize I usually plan too much, take risks, and push my kids to be adventurous. A VERY long story as short as possible-






Throw in all the above stuff. We don't have a seat on the back of my bike yet for Mason so I decide to run beside Ben and Luke, who are on their bikes, with Mason in the double stroller and the dog tied to the stroller. I am also carrying all the food, drinks, camera, etc. Now Nelli and I had already gotten our run in for that day but a little extra exercise can only help especially the amount of bbq's we have been to lately with chips, dip, cookies, ribs, beer, more chips and dips, is exponential. So we load up the truck and go to a park close by and take a bike/running path to a pond. We get to the pond and I'm in front, then Ben, then Luke. I hear Ben say "Luke make sure you are going slow enough for the fast turn-don't ride into the pond." I look back immediately and I just see Luke ride straight into the pond, head submerged, bike sinking to the bottom, and my heart stopped. MY BABY! Now, I have Mason locked into the stroller with the dog tied on. Ben jumped off his bike and pulled Luke out of the pond. He came up and immediately swam to the edge-all those swimming lessons paid off! He is hysterically crying and COVERED in some sort of neon green seaweed. I untie the dog, put the brake on the stroller, and run over to him and just hold him. Before I even get to him the dog has fallen into the pond and is now swimming in this pool of neon seaweed. I have to pull her out as well. So, we are all covered in seaweed. I'm just glad the stroller didn't go into the pond, yet. So Luke calms down fairly quickly- Ben and I are just looking at each other not knowing what to say. I grab the camera and let Mason out of the stroller. Ben and Luke fished out Lukes bicycle. Now, a week later and it is still in the garage covered in seaweed... So Luke is of course soaking wet. We are walking around the pond and find some nice huge dead catfish and you can only imagine how cool my boys thought that was. All of a sudden, Ben just points and grunts at me. I look over and the stroller that was parked on the hill, in the shade, where we thought would be a good place to have our picnic, is flying down the hill headed towards the pond. Camera, cooler, phones, etc. I bolt, I was running as fast as I ever have to try and stop the stroller from going into the green seaweed. LUCKILY, Lukes bike stopped it. Knocked over the bike, stroller and everything else flying out. I grab the camera again. I just said, we need to eat quick, get home safely, and not leave the house for the rest of the day. Ben took his shirt off so Luke could wear it because he was cold. Of course Mason then wanted his shirt off like Daddy. Hence, the pictures. We made it home with only Lukes training wheel coming off but no major injuries. Yes, we all went straight to the shower!

3 comments:

Erica said...

so sorry i missed out on this!

Kelly from Montana said...

love your stories - they really are great! thanks for sharing!

ka phelps said...

Too funny - remind me to pass on a picnic with the Karels! Who is the babe with the helmet in Mexico?)(&@!$%!!!!!!! I thought I had deleted all those - this will cost you my friend. Love the David Cook music and loved the movie last night - "I wore a bird on my head for him"..... Keep the great pics and stories coming - can't wait to see what the summer will bring!
kap